By: Christine Wood
My mind isn’t always very helpful. It fills with thoughts of worry, fear and regret, keeping me awake at night and stealing my joy.
What I think about is vitally important. My thoughts drive my attitude, my mood and my behaviour. The thoughts swirling in my head determine the way I live.
But how can we change our mindset? How can we control our thoughts? How do we, as the Bible says, renew our minds?
One of the most effective ways I have found to renew my mind is to meditate on scriptures that build my faith and remind me of God’s faithfulness and power to overcome my circumstances and fear. I have taken the time to memorise many of these scriptures on changing your mindset.
Here are my 10 favourite Bible verses about changing your mindset:
1. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Romans 12:2
2. Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Psalm 139:23
3. The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. Romans 8:6
4. You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you. Isaiah 26:3
5. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7
6. Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Luke 6:37
7. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God. Philippians 4:6
8. Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Philippians 4:8
9. Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5–6
10. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9
When we meditate on the truth of these verses—when we “take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ” (2 Corinthians 5:5)—we can have victory over our mindset and overcome the influence of negative thoughts in our lives.