Would you share that information with your friends if you have watched a great movie or gone to a great eatery? Yes? How much more, when it’s the Good News that has impacted you and will impact them for eternity? As Christians, we have all been given the Great Commission to preach the gospel (Mark 16:15).
The command is to “preach the gospel”. This means it’s not just enough to live a Christian lifestyle.
It’s also essential to share the truth behind our hope, peace and joy.
Romans 10:14 says, ‘How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?’ (NIV)
But what exactly is the gospel, and how do you share it? Here are four different presentations of the gospel. These are just tools in your toolbox. There is no set formula. Tailor your conversations to each person and listen to what the Holy Spirit wants you to say or do. He will teach you (Luke 12:12).
Six to-dos when sharing the gospel:
- Pray before you go out to reach people.
- Pray for the person on the spot. Remember, prayer helps soften hearts.
2. Ask L.I.F.E. Questions
- Listen: Listen to the person
- Interest: Take interest in the person
- Friendly: Be friendly to the person- We are building bridges and showing Jesus cares and loves. One of the best ways is to listen. Open your conversation with the familiar, and be ready to listen. Start with something they care about.
– Why should the person listen to what you have to say if you don’t listen to them first?
– Listening to their story also helps you understand where they are and better tailor your sharing to meet their needs and address their concerns.
– We are not in a debate or argument. Speak at a heart level. ‘For it is with your heart that you believe.’ Romans 10:10Empathy: If someone is struggling, offer to pray for them by asking
– if God could give you a miracle, what would it be?
– when they respond ask if you can pray for them
3. Be ready to share your story.
After praying for them, you can either share your testimony, or go straight into sharing the Gospel. Ask if you can share your story or a picture that changed your life.
Testimonies are powerful. No one can refute your own experience. A good testimony will include:
- How you were before God intervened.
Don’t discount this portion. People can relate to these bad times in your life. It draws them into your story. And when they hear or see of the transformation later in your story, that glorifies God.
- What did God do – your God encounter. How did you hear/feel/see, what did you hear/feel/see, how did you respond?
Bring your audience into an encounter with God through your description!
- The changes you have experienced in your life since you were saved.
4. Be ready to share the gospel
After praying for the person, you can ask if you can share a picture that changed your life (see the Gospel presentations below).
The gospel “is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes” Romans 1:16 (NKJV)
5. Be ready to give the invite to receive Jesus
This can be daunting. Will it affect your relationship? What if they say no? Well, Jesus did say that when people reject the gospel, they are not rejecting you, but Him. And, you are not responsible for their answer. The Bible says ‘Salvation belongs to the Lord’ (Mark 16:16).
The result is God’s, so leave it to Him!
6. Ask their concerns if they decide not to receive Jesus
Address them in love if appropriate. Again, we are not in a debate to win an argument. Neither are we pushing them for a yes.
Four Presentations of the Gospel
The Three Circles
The Bridge Diagram
Gospel for young children
Gospel for children and tweens
Want to share Jesus online but don’t know how to? Click here for tips.
For online information about God and the Gospel, click here.
Go! Remember you are not doing it alone! Do not fear. God is with you!
Reflect & Respond:
- Do you fear sharing the gospel? Will you ask God to help you overcome the fear and give you boldness?
- Is there someone in your circle of influence you can share Jesus with? Will you ask God to reveal to you someone you can share with?
- Has God led you to share the gospel in other ways? Share your story with us.