For every person there’s going to be a last meal, there’s going to be a last breath and a last statement. In some ways that final statement you give may be a summation of what you lived for or what you stood for. Your last words may show may show what really mattered to you.
Sometimes people don’t know when they are giving their last words and they can sometimes be quite flippant. When asked for his final words, Karl Marx, the famous Atheist behind Marxism said, “Last words are for people who haven’t said enough.”
Other last words are filled with faith, evangelist D.L. Moody on his deathbed said, “I see Earth receding and Heaven is opening. God is calling me.”
Jesus came to Earth on a mission to buy back that which was lost and He did this at the Cross. Jesus came to live and die, and to rise to defeat death. Death died when Christ rose.
The seven final statements Jesus gave on the Cross were:
1. "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do." Luke 23:34
2. "Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise." Luke 23:43
3. "Jesus said to his mother: "Woman, this is your son." Then he said to the disciple: "This is your mother." John 19:26-27
4. "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Matthew 27:46 and Mark 15:34
5. "I thirst." John 19:28
6. When Jesus had received the wine, he said, "It is finished;" and he bowed his head and handed over the spirit. John 19:30
7. Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Father, into your hands I commend my spirit." Luke 23:46
Watch or listen to the full message to hear Pastor Greg Laurie unpack each of these ‘Famous Last Words’…