Often our relationship to God, our heavenly Father is much like our relationship to our earthly father. Pastor Greg encourages parents on the importance of maintaining and impacting the lives of our children and to lay down a foundation in Christ. If we don't influence our children, the world will.
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Honour your father and mother,” which is the first commandment with promise: that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth. And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord.
Key tips for parents from the above message:
- The most important role of a Christian parent is to lead their children to Christ.
- Children need their parents. Proverbs 29:15 says "A child left to himself brings shame to his mother."
- The Biblical word 'heritage' can also be translated to the 'gift' you give your children.
- The word 'provoke' suggests a pattern of repeated treatment that causes the child to have anger and resentment that boils over to outright hostility.
- One sometimes unintentional way parents 'provoke' their children is to show favouritism to one child over another.
- Another way parents 'provoke' children is to never compliment them.
- Parents need to bring children up in the ways of the Lord, because their sinful nature will bring them down.
- Even when raised in Godly homes, kids sometimes rebel.
- We as parents must stay true to our Biblical beliefs.
- God never gives up on us, and parents should never give up on their children.
- Parents must always keep the door to home open. You never know when your prodigal child will return.