Barty to Begin Miami Title Defence Campaign

Thursday, March 25th, 2021
Ash Barty

Ash Barty will begin her Miami Open title defence in the second round, after being gifted a bye.

The event was cancelled last year due to the pandemic, meaning the world number one has held on to the prestigious title since 2019.

Barty says she’s happy to be back where she’s had so much success, while commenting that it feels “a bit strange”.

“I’m looking forward to the challenge; I think this year for me is all new, it’s all an adventure, it’s all something I haven’t experienced before,” she says.

Barty will face Slovakia’s Kristina Kučová in the round of 64.

Fellow Aussies Ajla Tomljanović and Storm Sanders have challenging second-round matches ahead of them, facing world number two Naomi Osaka and Australian Open quarter-finalist Jessica Pegula respectively.

In the men’s draw, Australians Alexei Popyrin and James Duckworth have booked places in the second round, while Thanasi Kokkinakis, Jordan Thompson, and Chris O’Connell will begin their campaigns on Friday.

 

Photo credit: Leonard Zhukovsky / Shutterstock.com

 

The Word for Today

 

Donate to vision

Over 80% of our income is from the freewill gifts of wonderful people just like you.
So thank you for helping. Your generous support is 'Connecting Faith to Life'.