Chinese Tennis Star Tells Olympic Chief She’s Safe And Well

Reported by Tony Davenport | vision.org.au
Monday, November 22nd, 2021
person wearing pair of white low-top sneakers while holding Wilson tennis racket

The International Olympic Committee says Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai had a video call with the IOC president Thomas Bach on Sunday.

In a statement, the IOC says Ms Peng told Mr Bach she was safe and well and thanked the IOC for its concern about her well-being.

Photos and videos of Ms Peng at a junior tennis tournament in Beijing earlier on Sunday had done little to dampen international concerns for her safety.

She hadn’t been seen in public for nearly three-weeks after she alleged on social media that a former senior Chinese official assaulted her.

“She explained that she is safe and well, living at her home in Beijing, but would like to have her privacy respected at this time,” the IOC’s statement continued

“That is why she prefers to spend her time with friends and family right now. Nevertheless, she will continue to be involved in tennis, the sport she loves so much.”

On November 2, Ms Peng posted on Chinese social media that former Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli had assaulted her several years ago.

Neither Mr Zhang nor the Chinese government have commented on her allegation.

Ms Peng’s social media post was quickly deleted and the topic has been blocked from discussion on China’s heavily censored internet.

The 35-year-old was the world No.1 doubles player in 2014, the first Chinese player to achieve a top ranking.

She won doubles titles at Wimbledon in 2013 and the French Open in 2014.

 

 

The Word for Today

 

Donate to vision

Over 80% of our income is from the freewill gifts of wonderful people just like you.
So thank you for helping. Your generous support is 'Connecting Faith to Life'.