Nadal and Osaka Withdraw from Wimbledon

Reported by Naomi Milham | vision.org.au
Friday, June 18th, 2021
Rafael Nadal

Rafael Nadal has announced his withdrawal from the Wimbledon Championships and the Tokyo Olympics to allow time for his body to recover.

He says he’s taken the decision in an effort to focus on the mid to long-term, and to help prolong his career.

Nadal says by taking the time off, he’ll be able to compete at the highest level and keep fighting for his professional and personal goals.

He said the shortened gap between the French Open and Wimbledon caused by coronavirus has added to his decision.

Wimbledon is the second major he has withdrawn from in 12 months, after missing last year’s US Open.

Naomi Osaka has also announced her withdrawal from Wimbledon to spend time with family and friends.

However, Osaka said she will be ready for the Olympics.

 

Photo credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kulitat/17968726664 

 

The Word for Today

 

Donate to vision

Over 80% of our income is from the freewill gifts of wonderful people just like you.
So thank you for helping. Your generous support is 'Connecting Faith to Life'.