‘Let us examine our ways and test them, and let us return to the Lord.’ Lamentations 3:40 NIV
When you pray, ‘Lord, make me a better person,’ in what specific areas do you want to change, grow, and mature? In order to get real with God, you must answer these twelve questions carefully and prayerfully:
(1) Am I honest and above reproach in all my financial dealings? That includes giving generously to God from your income.
(2) Do I put myself in sexually inappropriate situations, or expose myself to harmful material?
(3) Do I spend enough time with my family, and would they say that I do?
(4) Do I tell the truth even when it brings me hurt or criticism?
(5) Do I find it easy to say, ‘I was wrong. I’m genuinely sorry,’ or do I hold grudges?
(6) Am I knowingly compromising any area of my life, or refusing to face the consequences of my actions?
(7) Have I formed habits that are detrimental to my health, my job, my family, or my walk with Christ?
(8) Am I proud, selfish, or arrogant?
(9) Have I taken credit for things that others did and should have been rewarded for?
(10) Have I failed to confess something to someone who should know of my wrongdoing?
(11) Have I been insensitive or abusive to my loved ones? And if I have, what am I willing to do about it? (12) Am I spending enough time in prayer and in the Scriptures? ‘Let us examine our ways and test them, and let us return to the Lord.’ The word for you today is: get real with God!
SoulFood: Rom 3:21–6:23, Jn 10:1–10, Ps 133, Prov 29:15–18
The Word for Today is authored by Bob and Debby Gass and published under licence from UCB International Copyright 2023