‘Anxiety in the heart… causes depression, but a good word makes it glad.’ Proverbs 12:25 NKJV
When Enrico took his first voice lesson at ten, the teacher said, ‘You haven’t any voice at all.’ But Enrico’s mother heard greatness in her son’s voice. She believed in his talent. And even though they were very poor she put her arms around him and said, ‘My boy, I’m going to make every sacrifice to pay for your voice lessons.’ Her confidence in him and her constant encouragement paid off, because he became one of the most beloved and widely acclaimed singers of all time. His name? Enrico Caruso.
When the world tries to tear us down, we need people who build us up, people who recognise our talent and help us make the most of it. Consider these ‘commands for parents’, written from a child’s point of view:
(1) My hands are small; please don’t expect perfection whenever I make a bed, draw a picture, or throw a ball.
(2) My legs are short; slow down so that I can keep up with you.
(3) My eyes have not seen the world as yours have; let me explore it safely, and don’t restrict me unnecessarily.
(4) Housework will always be there; I’m only little for a short time. Take time to explain things to me about this wonderful world, and do so willingly.
(5) My feelings are tender; don’t nag me all day long. Treat me as you would like to be treated.
(6) I am a special gift from God; treasure me as God intended you to—holding me accountable for my actions, giving me guidelines to live by, and disciplining me in a loving manner. Today, be an encourager!
SoulFood: Acts 16–17, Matt 1:1–17, Ps 7:10–17, Prov 11:7–9
The Word for Today is authored by Bob and Debby Gass and published under licence from UCB International Copyright © 2017
… we've got a favour to ask!
For 365 days of the year we're able to provide these great devotions, thanks to a very small portion of readers that donate to the costs.
Today we’re asking for your help. Your gift, large or small, will make a big difference in many lives—and, in addition, it’s tax-deductible (in Australia) as well.
© 2017 Vision Christian Media (United Christian Broadcasters Australia Limited) Locked Bag 3 Springwood QLD 4127
ABN 15 051 984 402