‘We praise the ones who endured the most.’ James 5:11 CEV
Observe these six things about persistence:
(1) You don’t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.
(2) The first two letters in the word goal are ‘go’.
(3) Some people dream of doing great things; others wake up and actually do them.
(4) Anybody who brags about what they’re going to do tomorrow, probably did the same thing yesterday.
(5) You’ll never be what you ought to be, until you’re doing what you ought to be doing.
(6) If you’re having trouble thinking outside the box, it’s time to get out of the box. When Lester Wunderman was fired from his advertising job, he felt he still had a lot to learn from the head of the agency, Max Sackheim. So, the next morning he went back to his office and continued working as he always had, talking to co-workers and clients, and sitting in on meetings―all without pay. Sackheim ignored him for a month. Finally, he walked up to Wunderman and said, ‘Ok, you win. I never saw a man who wanted a job more than he wanted money.’ Well, guess what? Wunderman went on to be one of the most successful advertising men of the century. He’s credited with having invented pre-printed newspaper inserts, plus subscription cards like those used by Time-Life Books and the Columbia Record Club―ideas that produced millions of dollars in profit. Now, advertising may not be your thing, but action must be. What are you willing to do to achieve your dream? Work without pay? Refuse to quit? Success belongs to those who trust God―and stick with it.
SoulFood: 3 Jn, Jude, Mark 8:27–38, Ps 84, Prov 22:24–26
The Word for Today is authored by Bob and Debby Gass and published under licence from UCB International Copyright © 2018
… we've got a favour to ask!
For 365 days of the year we're able to provide these great devotions, thanks to a very small portion of readers that donate to the costs.
Today we’re asking for your help. Your gift, large or small, will make a big difference in many lives—and, in addition, it’s tax-deductible (in Australia) as well.
© 2018 Vision Christian Media (United Christian Broadcasters Australia Limited) Locked Bag 3 Springwood QLD 4127
ABN 15 051 984 402