‘I have great confidence in you.’ 2 Corinthians 7:4 NIV
When people feel ‘used’ they begin to drop out, but when they feel appreciated they’ll follow you anywhere. Paul, one of the finest leaders of all time, told the Corinthian believers, ‘I have great confidence in you; I take great pride in you. I am greatly encouraged… my joy knows no bounds.’ (2 Corinthians 7:3–4 NIV) He was their biggest cheerleader. He didn’t just correct, he comforted. He didn’t just sharpen, he strengthened―all hallmarks of great leadership.
(1) Are consistent. They set an example by walking the walk so everyone knows that what’s heard at the bottom is practised at the top.
(2) Voice their appreciation, realising that people need to know they’re an important part of the team and the vision.
(3) Always listen to suggestions, opinions, concerns and ideas. They don’t pre-judge, and they’re not dismissive. Author Betty Bender said: ‘It’s a mistake to surround yourself only with people just like you. Throw off that warm comforter and replace it with a crazy quilt of different and imaginative people. Then watch the ideas erupt!’
(4) Don’t see people as statistics. Businesswoman Mary Kay Ash said, ‘P&L doesn’t mean “profit and loss”―it means “people and love.”’
(5) Explain why they like things done a specific way. It lessens mistakes, and the resentment that can stem from feeling ‘ordered around’. Statesman Clarence Francis said, ‘You can buy a man’s time and physical presence at a certain place… But you can’t buy enthusiasm, initiative, loyalty, and the devotion of hearts, minds, and souls. You have to earn these things.’
SoulFood: Is 61:1–9, Luke 4:16–30
The Word for Today is authored by Bob and Debby Gass and published under licence from UCB International Copyright © 2018
… we've got a favour to ask!
For 365 days of the year we're able to provide these great devotions, thanks to a very small portion of readers that donate to the costs.
Today we’re asking for your help. Your gift, large or small, will make a big difference in many lives—and, in addition, it’s tax-deductible (in Australia) as well.
© 2018 Vision Christian Media (United Christian Broadcasters Australia Limited) Locked Bag 3 Springwood QLD 4127
ABN 15 051 984 402