‘Not looking to your own interests, but each of you to the interests of the others.’ Philippians 2:4 NIV
Paul writes, ‘Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. In your relationships with others, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus.’ (Philippians 2:34 NIV). That means do these five things:
(1) Be genuinely interested in others. ‘Rejoice with those who rejoice, mourn with those who mourn.’ (Romans 12:15 NIV) And you can only do that when you take the time to find out what’s going on in someone else’s world.
(2) Be upbeat. ‘A happy heart makes the face cheerful, but heartache crushes the spirit.’ (Proverbs 15:13 NIV) Though it can be helpful, try not to vent to others all the time. Make sure you remember to take your problems to the Lord in prayer.
(3) Be careful what you say, and always say less than you think. ‘Fools give full vent to their rage, but the wise bring calm.’ (Proverbs 29:11 NIV) And since how you speak is just as important as what you say, always be kind and courteous.
(4) Be reliable. The Bible says, ‘In the last days… men shall be… trucebreakers.’ (2 Timothy 3:1–3 KJV), but you don’t have to fulfill that prophecy. When you say you will do something, do it. Character is measured by actions, not words. So strive to be a person whose word has meaning.
(5) Be an encourager. Barnabas was known as a motivator because he ‘encouraged the believers.’ (Acts 11:23 NLT) Ever notice what happens when you push a child on a swing? Eventually they start gaining some momentum and doing it themselves; they just needed a little help to get going. Even a smile can work wonders. Job said, ‘When they were discouraged, I smiled at them. My look of approval was precious to them.’ (Job 29:24 NLT) Sometimes it’s that simple!
SoulFood: 2 Sam 22:31–24:25 John 6:1–15 Ps 126 Pro 24:10
The Word for Today is authored by Bob and Debby Gass and published under licence from UCB International Copyright [cy]