‘I run with purpose in every step.’ 1 Corinthians 9:26
Whether it’s in the world of sports or the Kingdom of God, all winners exhibit these five traits:
(1) Self-awareness. Winners are honest about their strengths and weaknesses. The Bible says, ‘The Lord searches every heart… If you seek Him, He will be found by you.’ (1 Chronicles 28:9 NIV) In prayer you see yourself as you are. As you read God’s Word, you begin to see yourself as you can be.
(2) Focus. Wherever you are today, be there—because that’s where God is. People who spend their lives ‘waiting for their ship to come in’ are usually disappointed, or die on the pier. Winners live in the present moment. They refuse to be in one place while their mind is in another.
(3) Confidence. Winners overcome anxiety by keeping their eyes on the goal. As they get closer, their confidence increases. Jude writes, ‘Dear friends, by building yourselves up.’ (Jude 1:20 NIV) This is something you must do for yourself, and do daily through prayer and God’s Word.
(4) Toughness. Winners sacrifice the present for the future. They’ve learned to say no to indulgence and yes to discipline, because to them the prize is worth the price. Paul writes: ‘Like an athlete I punish my body… training it to do what it should, not what it wants.’ (1 Corinthians 9:27 TLB)
(5) A game plan. Winners recognise that talent alone isn’t enough; you need a plan to live by. So, have you discovered God’s plan for your life? Are you living by it? If not, talk to Him about it today. It’s one of the most important conversations you will ever have.
SoulFood: Matt 6:1–4, Mark 12:41–44, Luke 14:12–14, 2 Cor 9:6–11
The Word for Today is authored by Bob and Debby Gass and published under licence from UCB International Copyright © 2021
© 2021 Vision Christian Media (United Christian Broadcasters Australia Limited) Locked Bag 3 Springwood QLD 4127
ABN 15 051 984 402
An active member of the UCB International Christian media family